ProTech is a protective shell for football helmets.
The ProTech protective shell attaches to new or existing helmets. It is made from specialized polyurethane foam that absorbs and dissipates the energy caused by a hit to the ProTech cover. The ProTech acts much like an airbag, delaying the timing of the impact.
“The benefits of the reduction of force…that wearing ProTechs provides…will have a positive outcome to the possible adverse effects of repeated sub-concussive blows to the brain.”– Dr. Kevin Crutchfield, Specialist on concussions and traumatic brain injury; independent neurologist for NFL Baltimore Ravens
- Attaches to new or existing helmets, customized to your team colors and logo
- Patented soft-shell SAFR Technology absorbs, reduces and deflects force created by contact before the impact reaches the hard shell of the helmet
- Protects against both sub-concussive impacts as well as the “big” hit
- Approved by the National Federation of State High Schools Association (NFHS) to be used in practice and games
How Protech protects the head from injuries
- The ProTech absorbs initial impact and dissipates linear impact forces significantly from the baseline performance of helmets alone.
- Leveraging minute movement technology, the Protech cover moves slightly over the helmet beneath it upon impact, deflecting harmful impacts away from the head.
- ProTech acts like an airbag — it delays timing of impact, reducing the speed of a hit, and lessening the impact endured by a player’s cranium.
Demonstrated effectiveness in research and testing
- A published, 3-year, independent on-field study by Penn State University demonstrates that ProTech:
- Reduces concussive impacts by as much as 72%
- Reduces sub-concussive impacts by as much as 47%
- Johns Hopkins University completed brain strain testing [Source or link to the study?] in conjunction with the NFL’s Health & Safety program to study the product for potential league-wide use in 2021
ProTech adopted by more than 300 teams
- Nearly 10,000 ProTechs are currently used by college, high school, and youth football teams:
1Chesapeake Laboratory Testing for SAFR; full results available
No helmet, helmet accessory or the ProTech can prevent all head or neck injuries to a player. Do not use the ProTech to spear an opposing player. This violates football rules and can result in severe head or neck injuries, paralysis or death to you and your opponent. Immediately report any dizziness, headaches, blurred vision or nausea to your coach, trainer, medical professional and parent. Do not return to play until you gain medical clearance from a qualified medical professional. Ignoring these warnings can result in more serious brain injury and could lead to lifetime impairment. The results of certain independent scientific test indicate that the ProTech, when properly installed, worn and used as intended and in accordance with product instructions, had the potential to reduce the likelihood of head trauma to the wearing player. Football, however, is a contact sport and no device, including ProTech, can completely eliminate the risk of concussion or other head or neck injuries. By using and wearing a ProTech, the player is assuming all the risks of injury inherent with playing football. Ignoring this warning may lead to another more serious or fatal brain injury. We are not liable for any injury that may happen during the use of the ProTech which must be used along with a properly fit and maintained football helmet. The ProTech is not intended for any other use other than with a fit and maintained football helmet and is not intended to be used when riding a bicycle, motorcycle or in any other activity.